For the past week I have REALLY been wanting to shop. I hate when this feeling strikes. I don’t want to go clothes shopping, although that would be fun to. I want to shop for my house. It has been forever since I went on a shopping adventure to buy things for my home. Oh my goodness what I would give to go to Home Goods or World Market and just load up on cutesy things for my bedroom, my craft room and my living room! Spring is here and summer is coming and I just need to refresh some areas. But it’s just not in the budget and we have other things that we are saving money for, like tires on my truck… how fun I know! And now that I am so responsible I just can’t let myself start spending money on non essentials, except when it comes to eating out. 😉
I usually want to shop because I feel dissatisfied with my house and I think something new will help. Once I came to this realization everything made sense to me. I thought about the things that I do to help push this ‘need to shop’ way back down deep inside me. So I will share and the next time you feel the need to shop maybe one of my tips might help.
1. Clean. I know this sounds super annoying but it works for me. I am not talking about picking up your house I am talking about some deep cleaning. First, it works because it takes up a good amount of time. Second, it works because sometimes I want to go shopping just to avoid dealing with the mess at home. Once my house feels and smells clean I instantly love my house again.
2. Relocate. Sometimes I want new things just to give my home a different look and feel. This can be done by moving things around. When I was younger I would move my room around like every month, I loved feeling like it was a new space. The same goes for my house. I don’t have a lot of options in my living room but every 4 months or so I move my couches to opposite walls and it feels new and refreshed.
3. Reorganize. I cannot handle clutter. I throw everything out and I donate things on a regular basis. Clutter seriously stresses me out so my closets really are not filled to the brim with junk BUT every once in a while I reorganize them and I get a weird sense of joy and contentment from it.
4. Craft. I have a good craft supply so I can almost always throw a little project together without having to hit up the craft store. Even if I do have to run out and spend $10 that money will go much further then $10 spent on a little something that I will throw up on a shelf. I get to spend time working on a project that not only gives me a creative outlet but will also add a little something to my home décor.
5. Grocery Shop. I don’t know why but sometimes (not always) if I go do my grocery shopping it will fulfill my urge to shop. Maybe I have a problem and I just want to spend money or maybe I am just going crazy at home so I need to get out, I really don’t know. BUT I do know that sometimes grocery shopping fills that shopping void for a little while.
What do you do to avoid shopping when you know you really shouldn’t?